December 27, 2014

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare ( The Infernal Devices #1)

Original title: Clockwork Angel
Year published: 2011
Published by: Walker Books Ltd
Number of pages: 488
First sentence: “The demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts”

Plot: Tessa Gray arrives in London after being summoned there by her brother Nate. However, everything is not as it seems and Tessa soon learns that not only is she different but that there are people looking to use her for purposes unknown. Drawn into a world she never knew existed she finds allies in the most unlikely people and uncovers secrets that would perhaps have been better kept secret. Tessa is beginning to realize that her life changed as soon as she stepped of that boat.

My thoughts: I have to admit that I was a bit put off in the beginning, because of my experiences with Clare’s other books, namely one, I never actually got past that one. The particular book was “City of Bones” the first in her Mortal Instruments series. But I’ve realized that there wasn’t actually anything wrong with the book, I didn’t like it because somehow it was spoiled for me. Anyway back to the book at hand. I absolutely loved this book. I loved being transported back to a 19th century London and all that it entails. I love the characters, especially Tessa, even though I don’t care much for how she thinks that women shouldn’t fight. The character of Will Herondale is disturbingly alike the character of Jace Wayland/Morganstern/Herondale or whatever the hell his name is these days. I have a love/hate relationship towards both characters although I don’t believe I was ever this enraged with Jace. The last scene between Tessa and Will had me screaming, literally. I was so mad at Will that I got mad at myself for actually being mad at a fictional character, it was rather confusing. 

Moving on to a character that is much more lovable, Jem. Oh god, I thought I wouldn’t like Jem, but I did. Where Will is obviously sarcastic Jem is more subtle in his sarcasm and he is much more gentlemen like. His appearance confused me a bit but I think that maybe that was the idea. I can’t get a picture of Jem in my mind like I can with most of the other characters and that’s sad because I really would have wanted to. I do however like the way his voice sounds in my head, all calm and collected.

There were of course many other characters in the book but I won’t go in to detail on those. All I’m going to say is that they all complemented each other well.

I have a feeling that we’re in for a love triangle with next book. I’m not sure if I like that or not. I tend steer clear of love triangles, “Twilight” has forever scarred me. But I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I will read the next book because I really want to learn more about Tessa and her past and the reason why she is the way she is. I also want to see the relationship between her and Jem evolve, I’m not saying it will be but I’m hoping. Right now I just want her to forget about Will because I hate him so much. But I’m sure I’ll change my mind and be back to loving him soon enough.


Do I recommend this book? God yes! Please read it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment