November 22, 2014

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K Rowling (Harry Potter #1)

Original title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
Year published: 1997/2013
Published by: Bloomsbury Publishing
Number of pages: 223
First sentence: “Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”

Plot: Strange things always happen around Harry Potter and on his eleventh birthday he finds out why. He is a wizard, and not just any wizard, but ‘the boy who lived’. As Harry begins his first year at a wizarding school he learns many things about his past, and quite possibly even his future.

My thoughts: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. This book is amazing and I can’t wait to dig my teeth into the next one! I’m so ashamed of myself for not reading this before. I’ve always loved the movies and the whole magical world but I’ve never gotten into the books until now. Could have something to do with the thickness of the later books in the series, they didn’t seem that appealing before now. I got quite mad at myself while reading this because I kept comparing it to the movie and getting annoyed over all the things they missed while making it. Peeves for one. Where is he in the movie? He’s such a great character, one of my favorites actually. You also don’t get to see as much of Neville in the movie as you do in the book. Why not, I wonder? Neville is a great character, I actually prefer him to Harry for the most part. I’m done complaining, let’s just say they missed a lot while making the movie.

Would I recommend this book? YES! It’s great and I do believe that kids need to read this. Hell, I’m 20 and I just read this for the first time and thought it was great. This feels like a part of growing up you know? Like a part of childhood. Granted, a part of childhood that I obviously missed, but still. So read it and dream people!

No comments:

Post a Comment