March 29, 2015

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #2)

Original title: City of Ashes
Year published: 2008
Published by: Walker Books
Number of pages: 411
First sentence: “The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.”

Plot: Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

(Plot taken from Goodreads)

My thoughts: First off, let me just say that I liked this book a lot better than the first one, probably because there were no movie connections to be made here. This was a really good thing and it meant that I could actually enjoy the book, which I did, very much.
A lot of things happen in this book, a lot of life changing things, for some people at least. Can we just take a minute to appreciate Simon? I mean what he goes through in this book and still he’s there for Clary. Simon, I love you.  Then there’s Jace, whom I of course also love but that’s beside the point. He is so hateable in this book, but still I have a lot of sympathy for him. He makes me so mad with his “no I can’t hate my father” crap, ugh. Seriously it is perfectly alright to hate Valentine, I sure as hell do. Say it with me: “I HATE VALENTINE”. There, that wasn’t so hard was it. The whole Valentine situation is so infuriating. Tricking Clary and Jace into believing they’re siblings is just horrible. They are so obviously in love with each other and it just makes reading most of the book weird, it makes me uncomfortable. Especially when they’re with the faerie Queen and she makes them kiss. I was screaming, really. Like why in the bloody hell would they react to each other that way physically if they truly believe that they are brother and sister? It makes no sense. And poor Simon. I feel so bad for him, although he seems okay with everything by the end of the book.
Also there’s Luke, who really steps up in this book. I love Luke. He’s such a nice guy and the way Clary’s like: “you’re not my father, Luke is” aaaaaaah, I loved that.
One thought that stuck with me while reading the book was:  “When the hell is it time for Jocelyn to wake up?” and by the end of this book we get an answer, maybe. So I can’t wait to get started on ‘City of Glass’.
And why didn't Imogen Herondale get to finish telling Jace the truth? Gaaaah! How long am I going to have to wait for Jace to finally know the truth. This is driving me crazy!
I love the Shadowhunter world. If I could I’d probably be one, that or a warlock, with a nice mark like Magnus’ eyes and not horns or green skin.

Do I recommend it? Yep.


Goodreads rating 4/5

3 comments:

  1. Do I recommend it? Yep.
    Ha ha well enthusiastic right there wifey :P

    ReplyDelete