March 23, 2015

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #1)

Original title: City of Bones
Year published: 2007
Published by: Walker Books
Number of pages: 506
First sentence: ““You’ve got to be kidding me,” the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.”

Plot: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...
(From Goodreads)

My thoughts: Um, yeah, no. I mean there really isn’t much wrong with the book and I did give it 4/5 on Goodreads. I love the Shadowhunter world that Clare has created. I love the Infernal Devices series but this, I don’t know. It’s probably because I keep comparing it to the movie and that’s my own fault. The book is better than the movie, I mean way better but I keep seeing the things and people from the movie and I don’t like it. Take Alec for example, he’s a douche in the book and in the movie but I think the book version of him is more attractive, mostly because he’s supposed to be taller than Jace, but I keep seeing Alec (Kevin Segers) from the movie. It’s really annoying to have seen the movie before finishing the book because I find myself going: “No, that’s not how it happened in the movie”. It bugs me because what happens in the book actually makes a lot more sense than the movie. 
This whole Valentine deal pisses me off royally. Why is Jace so quick to believe that Valentine is his father? Sure he has a story to explain everything but it still doesn’t add up. And yes I do know how things actually are with that whole situation and that just makes it so much worse. Ugh. Valentine is much more of an evil asshole in the book than the movie, I didn’t really think that it was possible to be more of an ass but apparently it was. Way to go Mr Morgenstern.  Luke is such a babe though, too bad he’s not Clary’s bio dad.
I’m 30% done with the next book, ‘City of Ashes’, and can I just say: “whaaaaaaat!?” for a moment. And when the hell does Jocelyn wake up?  Confused.com

But do I recommend it? Sure, why not? I mean it’s a good story. My problems are with myself and not the book.


Goodreads rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment