March 9, 2015

Mini reviews

Hey guys. Since the blog is obviously lacking everything at the moment I thought I’d let you know what books I’ve been reading lately and what I thought about them. I’m going to call these mini reviews because they’re not going to be as, I don’t know, analyzing (?) as my reviews usually are but they’ll still give you an idea as to what I thought of the books. For plots, see Goodreads.

Books read in January:

Captivated by you (Crossfire #4) by Sylvia Day
 I liked this book although I felt that there were some things missing. I’m always curious to learn more about the characters Eva and Gideon and even though you got to know some about them I kind of felt like this book was a filler. Eva and Gideon actually didn’t accomplish that much in their relationship and they didn’t move forward as much as I would have wanted so I was a bit disappointed by that. And the way the book ended, gaaah! *pulls hair out* I mean seriously, you can do better than that miss Day!
Goodreads rating 4/5

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
I read this book for a literature course at uni and I didn’t like it very much. Sure the story was good and all that but it was too slow for my liking. The different POV’s confused me. I liked the movie better and that doesn’t happen a lot.

Goodreads rating 2/5

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones
Another book read for school, though I liked this one better. I liked the characters and the story. It was a bit slow in the beginning but it got better the further you got into it. An OK book.

Goodreads rating 3/5

Books read in February:

Wake (Watersong  #1) by Amanda Hocking
I was a bit disappointed by this book. What I’ve read of Hocking so far has been great, I loved the Trylle series so I was of course expecting a similar experience with this, but sadly that didn’t happen. The story is actually quite a good one and I enjoyed how Hocking incorporated the Greek mythology. The character of Gemma was interesting enough but the fact that she would die for someone she basically just started having feelings for annoyed the crap out of me. I don’t want to spoil anything so I’ll leave it at that.

Goodreads rating 3/5

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare
Oh my beloved Shadowhunters how I’ve missed you. As usual Clare’s attention to detail is just, WOW. After reading this book I immediately wanted to dive into the next one but I had to stop myself. So many books, so little time. This book wasn’t as good as the first one but that was probably just because there weren’t as many new impressions in this one. You get to know a lot about the characters pasts in this book and I think that helps getting to know them better. I know I fell a bit more in love with Jem when I read this book, but also Will, oh poor Will. So until the next book I’ll just keep Jem and Will in my mind.

Goodreads rating 4/5

Looking for Alaska by John Green
Okay, so I hated this book in the beginning. I mean really, I wanted to stop reading it, set in on fire and bury it. But I’m glad I didn’t. This turned out to be one of those books you read and then when you finish you feel empty and you’re not exactly sure how to move on with your life. I can’t say that I loved it because I didn’t. There wasn’t enough action so to speak. But I loved the characters and the plot twist, oh my. I’m glad I gave Mr Green a shot and I will certainly continue reading him.

Goodreads rating 4/5

The Selection, The Elite & The One (The Selection #1-3) by Kiera Cass
A new favorite. The entire series is amazing but more on that later. My first thought was: “Is this supposed to be British English or American English?” because Cass uses words such as post instead of mail etc. But it is in fact American English. The country, called Illéa is actually America in the future after a couple more world wars and a takeover by China. So it’s a dystopian book, and I love that. In my epic reads book tag I said that if I had to choose a dystopian world to live in I’d choose the Chicago from the Divergent series, but I’ve changed my mind. I want Illéa and I would like to be a Three or a Four. What’s a three and a four you ask? Well Illéa has a caste system where One is the Royal family and Eight is the lowest, they’re the homeless people. Our main character, ironically named America Singer (yes, ironically, we’ll get to that later, maybe) is a Five, which is not great but it’s not bad either. Fives are the artist types of the community, hence the last name Singer. Anyway, so there’s this selection thingy where one girl from each province get “randomly” selected (every girl between the ages of 16 and 19 (?) can enter the draw) to move in to the royal palace and compete for the Prince’s heart. Weird? Yes. Wait, no, I wasn’t going to retell the plots in these mini reviews. We’ll use Goodreads for that.
Anyway, I loved this book, I loved America, I loved Prince Maxon, I loved May. I hated Aspen. So yes the series is amazing and I can’t wait to read the fourth book!

Goodreads rating 5/5, 4/5 & 5/5

Books read in March (so far):

Fallen by Lauren Kate (Fallen #1)
I really liked this book although the love triangle bit bummed me a bit. I think we’ve established that I’m not the biggest fan of love triangles. But how stoked was I when I realized that not only was this book about a girl being reincarnated but about fallen angels?! Amazing. I love fallen angels and I’m totally doing a re-read of Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush Hush series this summer. Anyway, OMG Daniel Grigori seriously, and Cam as well, you won’t be lacking boys in this one I can promise you that. And also the main character of Luce, I love her, she’s so troubled but still manages to find new friends and stuff. Yay her. I’m waiting to read the next book which I failed to add to my latest book order.

Goodreads rating 4/5

That is all for now, hopefully my new books will get here soon and I can show them to you. Have a great evening/day wherever you may be!

xx Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment