April 9, 2015

Angelfall by Susan Ee (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

Original title: Angelfall
Year published: 2011/2012
Published by: Skyscape
Number of pages: 288
First sentence: “Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.”

Plot: It's been six weeks since the angels of the apocalypse destroyed the world as we know it. Only pockets of humanity remain. 

Savage street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. 

When angels fly away with a helpless girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back...

(From Goodreads)

My thoughts: First thought was, naaah. But as soon as Penryn and her family steps out onto the street and feathers start falling from the sky things get interesting. Although it was a bit obvious that Penryn was going to save Raffe’s life I still liked it. It also felt truly inevitable for her to fall in love with him and the other way around. But he sure doesn’t show it. Not until he thinks she’s dead. He’s a total douche but I can’t help but love him anyway. Gaah. What is it with me and angels?
So anyway, the story is really great and I love the mythology (can I call it mythology when it’s stuff from the bible?) and I found myself going: “Huh. I actually already knew that” and “Hold the phone. An angel called Raffe, could this be the archangel Raphael?”. While trying to figure out the bad guys names I drew on my previous experience of reading neph/angel books and I wasn’t all that surprised to find out that the bad guy was named Beliel. I’ve stumbled upon that name before. Yes, Wendy Higgins is responsible, isn’t she always?

This book is packed with action, there’s not one moment where something’s not happening, much to Penryn’s chagrin. But that’s what I loved about it. I was never bored and I just wanted to keep reading it. That’s what a book should be, don’t ya think?

The thing that drew me to this book was actually the name and the cover and once I’d read what it was about I was sold. This book has two of my favorite things in it. Okay maybe more than two if we count the hot guys. But what I’m talking about is dystopia and angels. It’s like Susan Ee has read my mind and written the exact thing I wanted and needed.

I gave this book 4/5 stars on Goodreads, I would’ve given it 5 but despite how much I loved it there was something missing. Maybe the dystopia was too much of just that, dystopia. Too cold, not enough love and human emotions. Not sure. I’m looking forward to reading the next one nonetheless. It’s patiently waiting for me in my Kindle library.


Do I recommend it? Heck yes! If you like I have a thing for either dystopia or angels, or maybe both, then you should definitely read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment