April 20, 2015

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (Starcrossed #1)

Original title: Starcrossed
Year published: 2011
Published by: Macmillan Children’s Books
Number of pages: 518
First sentence: “’But if you bought me a car now, it would be yours when I go away to school in two years’”

Plot: When shy, awkward Helen Hamilton meets Lucas Delos for the first time, she thinks two things: the first, that he is the most ridiculously beautiful boy she has seen in her life; the second, that she wants to kill him with her bare hands.
An ancient curse means Lucas and Helen are destined to loathe one another. But sometimes love is stronger than hate, and not even the gods themselves can prevent what will happen next...
(From Goodreads)

My thoughts: *squeals* This was so good! It’s got it all; supernatural stuff, hot boys, hot girls, great friendships, steaminess and GREEK MYTHOLOGY! How do you even manage this? Authors amaze me. I’ve had very few books where I read the first one in a series and was immediately hooked (Sweet series is one of those) but this was just WOW. I love Greek mythology so for me this was amazing. I didn’t even know there was going to be Greek mythology in it until I actually got to the part where Helen starts googling the Furies and even then I didn’t completely understand it, but when Lucas and the rest of the Delos family start explaining I was like “holy shit”. Speaking of the Delos family, can we just appreciate the awesomeness of that family for a second. I read “Twilight meets the Iliad” and I was like “no” but after a while I was like “yeah maybe” because if you think about it it’s kind of like Twilight but the gorgeous family are the newcomers. And also Lucas Delos is so much more gorge than Edward Cullen ever was. And the Delos family is so much more awesome than the Cullens ever were. The whole Delos family is gorgeous. I would say “the genes man, the genes” but since they’re beauty doesn’t have as much to do with genes as it does with Fate I won’t say it. I’m totally in love with every single family member (the immediate family not those scary One Hundred Cousins) except for maybe Cassie ‘cause she scares the shit out of me. But Ari, Jason and Hector, oh my, seriously I need Hector for myself, since Jason is so obviously in love with Claire and Lucas is meant to be with Helen. I even like the older guys; Castor and Pallas, even though Pallas is sort of an ass at first, sort of justified though.
I loved this whole “I wanna kill you but then you sort of saved my life so now I love you” thing. Totally adorable and at times embarrassing. I love that Helen and Lucas are meant to be because of the whole star-crossed lover thing. And how ironic isn’t it that Lucas was supposed to be named Paris. At that moment in the book I think I died a bit. That was just too much for my fragile heart too handle. But what really tipped me over was when Helen’s mom (major bitch, btw) shows up after like 17 years and tells this lie to make Helen and Lucas believe that they’re cousins. What is it with parents telling they’re kids that they’re related to the people they’re in love with!?!?! It pisses me off (yes Cassandra Clare I’m talking about bloody Valentine)!

This review turned out really messy but that’s just because I’m so excited about this that I don’t know what to talk about and when! It was amazing! So of course I gave it 5/5 stars on Goodreads. The next book in the series; ‘Dreamless’ is now on my to buy list!

Do I recommend it? Hells yes!


No comments:

Post a Comment